Best Practices, Operations, V7I5

Recommit to Your Goals in 2021!

(Photo courtesy of Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash)

“When all is said and done, there should more done than said.” — Unknown

Proverbs 29:18 says that where there is no vision, the people perish. That’s such a powerful reminder that we should all have a vision and keep our goals close to us to remind us every day to stay on course. 

It’s so easy in this crazy shed business to get knocked off course when dealing with the day-to-day minutiae and challenges that arise. I know for myself included, I start the day with the best of intentions to work toward my goals, and all of a sudden, I get distracted with other things. 

In order to stay focused and growing towards your goals, I encourage you to do a couple of things


I personally like to write down big, attainable goals. 

The keyword here is attainable. It’s okay to dream big goals. However, making it a goal to out earn Warren Buffet is probably shooting too high and you will be in constant disappointment. 

Setting unattainable goals can paralyze you and cause you to just throw in the towel and quit.

 Just how important is it to physically write down your goals? In 2017, a Harvard Business Study found that the 3 percent of graduates from their MBA program who had written down their goals ended up earning 10 times as much as the other 97 percent put together, 10 years after graduation! WOW! That’s amazing! 

Not only should you write your goals down, be sure to share them with your friends and family as well. This will make it real and is also a form of staying accountable. We all need accountability, or at least I do! 

One of my simple goals each year is to sell more sheds than I did the year before. I write down the number and tell my family for accountability. Outside of God, my family is my “why,” and I can’t let them down, and the fear of doing so is a powerful motivator. 

As I make progress toward my goals, I think that it’s important to celebrate along the way. For example, I will take my family on a trip as a reward when I hit a milestone. I feel that it’s very important to include your family in your goal-achieving victories.


Dreams without action are just daydreams! Taking action is required in order to move toward and accomplish your goals. 

Another one of my goals for 2021 was to have a larger sign installed at my business. I had it written down on my desk for a few months and I failed to make the call. One day I decided to pick up the phone to start the process. I’m glad that I did because the sign took way longer than I expected it to and had I waited, it may have been delayed until next year. 

The bottom line is that I took action. Do you have a goal that you need to get started on? If so, take action and get it started. 

Former Miami Dolphins head coach Don Shula once said that it’s the start that stops most people. That’s 100 percent true.

Remember that progress happens as the result of lots of tiny steps—but you must first get started. As you take those smaller steps, momentum starts to kick in and your goals seem closer and closer to reach. Just think, making that extra follow-up call, or sending that extra email can make all of the difference in the world in achieving your goals.

I encourage all of us to recommit to our goals and take action so we can finish out 2021 in a big way! I wish you all the best! 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Current Issue

June/July 2024